Friday, January 07, 2005

Lemony Snickets and A Series of Unfortunate Events

I was sent to Phoenix (pronounced Puh-hoe-nix) to do cutover support at the Crowne Plaza. Of course I volunteered for the Night Audit shift so that I could play during the day. So I played with Brian Frost, my friend from EFY last summer. We watched a couple of movies. But, the best part was our adventure looking for books at 10:30pm. I needed a new book to read because I had finished reading "Life of Pi," an excellent book. We saw Barnes & Noble, and there were people in it, but when we got there it was closed. Deceiving! So we went back to the hotel to ask the front desk where the closest Wal-Mart was. The told us and we took off on a quest looking for it. Well, it wasn't very close at all, and when we got there it was closed! Where in America does Wal-Mart close!?! I'll tell you - Peoria, AZ. So we just kept driving all over looking for another Wal-Mart or another store that would sell me a book and ended up at a grocery store. The next night, Brian came back and took me to Barnes & Noble. B&N is one of the best stores ever. We walked all around and looked at a lot of books. I bought "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and Brian bought a Russian Dictionary. While we were on the foreign language aisle, we met a guy that wants to learn Russian, and Brian got to show how smart he is. It was great! I love my little adventures. I couldn't help it, I had to take a picture.

Cutover in Phoenix was late. When I got down to the desk to work the audit shift on cutover night, the rate download hadn't even been done yet. The hotel was not getting a connection from Holidex. Finally, when we did get connection, we got error messages when we did the rate download telling us that the rate category was not in the rate code. Irfan had to call Hanford at 1:30am and he walked him through what we needed to do. Everything was done around 3am.

No comments: