Saturday, December 16, 2006

Robins AFB Museum of Aviation


I got to fly an F15 today! Ok.. not a real F15. I'm not a pilot. But a simulator at Robins AFB. It was AMAZING! I got to practice for an hour! The man that was showing me the simulator kept trying to take over the controls and just fly for me, but I am too stubborn, so I made him show me how to read all the controls and the display and I took over. I would set the controls to bring the plane into land. I think I crashed it 15 times. But I did learn to read my altitude, airspead, how many G's I was at, if my landing gear was up/down, how far out from the airport I was, if I was lining up correctly. I even started getting a feel for the controls. I could bring the plane around without flipping upside down. I was very excited!


SR71 Blackbird













Update: Monday I had a day to kill before leaving for NC, so at 3pm I was promply waiting outside the doors of the simulator waiting for them to let me in. I was determined to land the F15. Nathan was there to help me that day. He was an aviation student that had been working there while getting his pilot's license. He helped me learn what air speed and altitude I needed to be at and when to bring down my landing gear etc. After a little bit more practice I had it. I landed the F-15! After a few more times of landing, Nathan decided to see if I could land at night, so he changed to program up a little for me. I also decided to change airfields too. I had a blast. Overall, I spent 3 1/2 hours in the simulator. I should start logging my hours... *wink*

No comments: