Keri came down from Texas A&M and we went down to the George Observatory in Brazos Bend State Park. We didn't get there early enough to get tickets to the 36" telescope, but we did get to view Saturn through the 14" and M42 (Orion Nebula) through the 18". Some other amatuers were out and let us look through their telescopes also, so we saw Mars and apparently I saw the Eskimo Nebula too, but I still swear that I didn't see anything.The best story of the night though was our ride down there. I wrote the directions to Brazos Bend State Park on a paper, but Keri put "George Observatory" in her GPS and at the sign on 762 that says "Brazos Bend State Park, turn left here" her GPS said to go straight. So we followed the GPS thinking it would take us to the observatory. We ended up back at 59 and then in a reseidential neighborhood. We kept joking that it was taking us to a Mr. George Observatory's house.
I saw this on xkcd the following Monday. Perfect! It's titled "Cheap GPS"

1 comment:
Justin's GPS that he only got less than a year ago just broke and he is back to using a key map until we can get a Tom Tom. They are not always, right, especially in more rural areas. I'm glad you had a great time.
Post a Comment