From my friend Julie's Blog...
Tonight, I went to a very special event -- it was a benefit for the Space Walk of Fame, as well as a screening of the documentary "The Wonder of it All," which was about the men who walked on the moon.
Several of the astronauts in attendance tonight were John Young (who walked on the moon on Apollo 16), Eileen Collins (STS-114 "Return to Flight," among others), Joe Kerwin (Skylab), Walt Cunningham (Apollo 7), and Fred Haise (Apollo 13!!).
My friend Bonnie and I were sitting at a table with a group of people eating dinner when Joe Kerwin came up to our table and started talking to one of the men at the table. He was very friendly, so other people in the table were joining in the conversation, too. At one point, since he is a medical doctor, he was talking about how we may not always be able to have a medical doctor onboard the future missions to Mars, and that's a scary thought to some people. He said:
"But I guarantee you that there are plenty of people out there who would do it anyway."
With a expression of fiery enthusiasm and determination in my eyes, I nodded my head in agreement. Noticing the look in my eyes, Joe Kerwin looked at me and said, "And I bet you're one of them." :0)
With an even more fiery expression, I said, "Oh yeah." :0) (Had I been better prepared for that moment, I would've said "Yes, sir.")
I love our nation's space program. I want to see us continue exploring space and reaching to achieve greater things than we've ever done before. There's never been another space program to equal that of the United States, and I want to see us continue to be the leaders that we are -- but we must become even better leaders. It's time to raise the bar.
If you'd like more info about Joe Kerwin, please see Joe Kerwin's one-page NASA bio.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dear Bonnie,
Thank You SO MUCH for writing me back. I miss Space Camp. I miss
being with all of You. I heard from Philip. It is SO WONDERFUL to
hear from both of You. Its hot here where I live. I'm at a coffee
shop using the internet. I don't have the internet at my apartment so I
have places that have internet access. I heard from my gentleman
friend A.J. and he misses me. I wrote him back. Its REALLY wonderful to
hear from You. I saw Your website and I LOVE IT. I miss the team
VERY MUCH. Sometimes I get REALLY EMOTIONAL when I think about all of
You. I think about ALL the good times that I had with the team and I remember the wondeful week that we all had. I saw the pictures of all of us. I watch the dvd and I think about all of You A LOT. I have been trying to keep busy with studying for NEXT YEAR for Space Academy. Philip is going back and so is Brandon. It would be AWESOME to be a team again. Hope all is well with You. I'm going to GREAT ESCAPE Ttomorrow. I will have some pictures for You. You can call me if You want. My home phone number is 1-518-897-2180.I'm home in the evenings. My Track phone number is 1-518-637-8539. You have my website address. You can leave a voice mail on my t4rack phone and I will save it. Get in touch me as soon as You can. I hope thatwe can visit with eachother again someday soon. That would make Me VERY HAPPY. Say hello to the rest of the team for me. I miss them VeryMuch. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of all of You. Take Care Bonnie. Let me know how Your doing. Keep in touch.
Post a Comment